Born from an English father and a Belgian mother, Baron Isidore Taylor (1789 – 1879) was an artist and theater man, an important figure of the Parisian artistic scene of the nineteenth century. A great philanthropist, he decided in 1844 to create a foundation in order to support his fellow artists and also the future generations of artists, to help them exhibit their works and pursue their creative life. The original name of the foundation was “Association des artistes, peintres, sculpteurs, architectes, graveurs et dessinateurs” (Association of artists, painters, sculptors, architects, engravers and drawers) but it would soon be better known as the shorter “Fondation Taylor”, much easier to remember! The association has grown very steadily over the years and remains quite active nowadays. The artists that get a membership card can apply to hold exhibitions or to participate in the numerous art prizes organised by the foundation. The rich program of exhibitions is opened to various artistic techniques, but puts a strong focus on works on paper, particularly on engravings. The foundation is settled in an impressive house of the 9th arrondissement, a splendid classic “hôtel particulier” near the Place Saint-Georges, the Museum of Romantic Life and the Moreau Museum (making the neighbourhood perfect for an artistic stroll!). The building was completely renewed in 2012 and has increased its already vast exhibition spaces. The exhibitions are displayed on several floors, on a stone basement, on the ground floor and on a spectacular two-floor high artist studio on the upper levels. The studio not only hosts exhibitions, but also various events, such as concerts. This rich program indeed makes the Taylor Foundation a place worth regular visits!

 

 

Comments

comments